Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Happiness Through My Eyes: There's no place like home

Those of you who have known me for a while know that my family has just moved back to Canada after a 4 year overseas adventure. I don't regret any of our journey and I would do it all over again, but I am ecstatic to be home.

Despite growing up in a small city here in Alberta, I've always wanted to live on a farm. In high school I had a boyfriend (Hi Scott just in case you're randomly reading this!!!) who lived out on a farm and I loved helping him feed the cows, drive the tractor or just do general chores around the farm. I remember one day sitting down by this beautiful little creek on their property and sobbing while the cattle were being loaded to go to slaughter. It's part of farm living, but not having grown up with it I was a little devastated!!! I remember thinking it was just so peaceful out there and I loved visiting. 

There's a big push lately to go "back to the land"  with backyard chickens and vegetable gardens and raw milk and I'm very excited to now have five acres just outside of Calgary and our own family acreage that can facilitate that!  

I walk out onto the deck some mornings with my cup of coffee, the sun is shining, there are birds flying around, goats bleating and cows mooing in the next field and I just stand there and smile. It's not anywhere close to the glitz and glamour that we had in Abu Dhabi, but it makes me much happier. I enjoy hauling hay, I enjoy pulling weeds, and building things and mowing the lawn. I enjoy feeding the goats now that they are safely contained and I'm not chasing them all over the foothills but most of all, I enjoy being back home. 

Home to me is big open skies, family, wheat fields, mountains, good friends and laughter, and rolling hills. It's dramatic clouds, camping, storms, hay bales, friendly people, country music, two-stepping and rodeo. I love these aspects of my home province and I missed them intensely while I was away. 

This month I thought I would share pictures from around our place and along the drive into town(Okotoks). So you can see for yourself some of the things that make me happy to be home.  

Here it is, Chez Burwell :) That's the trout pond on the bottom left. I was taking pictures of the stormy sky that went right over us without actually storming!!! If you look closely you can see my Mom relaxing under the pergola above the pond. 

Artsy take out in the pasture

I drive past this old barn all the time so today I stopped and took a picture

I take the back highway into Okotoks just so I can see views like this on a daily basis!!!!!!

Then on the way back you're looking at a gorgeous Calgary skyline

Mmmmmmm our place is full of saskatoon berries!!! They taste a bit like bluberries and can be used in a similar way but they have a nuttier taste to them. They grow wild here. 

This is Mia, she's a naughty goat most of the time and VERY bossy! Our goats are named after Reese's friends in Abu Dhabi!!!

Our little desert dog Ooday LOVES frolicking through the upper pasture. He chases grasshoppers and then goes and runs laps around the house like a maniac!!!

The road out towards the mountains 

On the top road coming back down into DeWinton. I had to stop because the reflections were awesome :)

Check out the bull's snot/spit!!!!!! I LOVE watching bull riding! This was at the Okotoks Pro Rodeo today. These guys are crazy. (read AWESOME)

This looks so uncomfortable!!! They look like rag dolls being bounced around on the horse!

Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys
Mutton Busting- Reese has decided she wants to try next year!!! 
Failing mutton busting she would like to try wild pony wrangling.


So now you can see why I'm happy to be home. Or, you think I'm completely crazy for being in love with all these things!! Either way you should visit the talented Louise Freeland's blog next to check out the rest of the blog circle  CLICK ON HERE TO CONTINUE THE CIRCLE :)

7 comments:

  1. Rachel, this post is sensational! I cannot get over that view with all of the mountains in the background!!! I was going to say that the lifestyle and open skies remind me of growing up in Texas and being on my aunts farm.... but we CERTAINLY didn't have mountains like that!!! :D Thank you for sharing your happiness this week as it speaks volumes to my heart and makes me homesick for wide open spaces and country. Beautiful photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, I love this! I am so pleased you are home and have settled into such a gorgeous place. I am very envious of your big skies and your long roads make me so jealous. We just don't really have anything like them in the UK. Gorgeous photos, I love the black and white cowboy shot in particular :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, As always, your photos are spectacular. You continue to inspire me with your talent! The reflection shot is one of my favorites! More than anything, I am glad that you are back home where your heart has always been. I look forward to seeing more through your lens, and wish you and Richard and Reese a lifetime of happiness in your new home!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Those views are just breathtaking! I love your story, too... and it makes me happy for you that you're home! So beautiful and peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't quite believe you are finally home in Canada, I had sorted of hoped you might have ended up based over here for a while but oh well I will just have to come and visit you out there now. It looks quite amazing and just imagine all those photos you will take, I am very jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel, Loved your happy post for this month. It's easy to see why you are so happy to be home, to be surrounded by so much beauty. Chez Burwell looks like a lovely cosy place to call home. Great photography as always. I look forward to see the progress with all your creatures haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so looking forward to this post. You make wosh to visit Canada too. The space, the nature. Canada is on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete